Lucy Porter joined the family business in 2007, having initially taken a different career path through Cardiff University, British Steel’s Shipping Division, and the rail industry, where she most latterly worked as a project manager. She enjoys being based back in her hometown, where, along with her dedicated team, she can continue the family tradition of helping local families through times of bereavement. Lucy has three daughters who may well become the next generation of H. Porter & Sons.
We moved premises from Enville Street (Stourbridge) to South Road where we are currently.
John (1944-2008) and Pat (1944-present) oversaw the continued growth of the business and, during their time at the helm, saw the business move from Short Street (Enville Street) to our current premises at Old Church House on South Road, and the acquisition of St Michael & All Angels Church and Church Hall.
Stanley Porter (1908-1967) / Dorothy Porter (nee Cadman) (1909-1988). Stan ran the business and did almost all the work himself. Upon his marriage, Dorothy took over the book-keeping/ business accounts until her retirement in the early 1980s. His brother, Eric Porter (1919-1950), also worked in the business before his premature death leaving a young family.
Horace Porter (1881-1939) started as a driver for a local bus company and became a funeral director upon the death of his father.
John Porter (born 1847) Worked in the family business as a coffin maker and funeral director.
H. Porter & Sons was established in 1843 and over the years since, has had premises in Queen Street and Enville Street (Stourbridge) before moving to its current premises in South Road in 1970.
Richard Porter (born 1821) was a carpenter and coffin maker in Enville Street and is believed to have started the business in 1843, the year his father William died. It is believed he started the business to support his mother and the rest of the family.