The distribution of a person’s estate is the responsibility of the person or persons named in a Will.

They are called Executors or Executrices. Where there is no Will, the person is said to have died ‘intestate’ and application must be made to a special division of the High Court in order to administer the estate. This can be dealt with through a solicitor or directly by the local probate office. This is usually dealt with by the nearest relative who is then called the ‘Administrator’.

If the deceased had any dealings with a solicitor, they should be contacted as soon as possible. In many cases it is advisable to consult a solicitor as they can be a great help when it is most needed and will deal with any legal matters that may arise. They will require a copy of the death certificate, share certificates, deeds, post office books, bank books, savings certificates, premium bonds, pension books and any insurance policies in the name of the deceased, together with any outstanding accounts and liabilities.