At H. Porter & Sons, we involve ourselves in and support the local community, through using local suppliers, supporting other local businesses and being involved in local and national charities.
We support local good causes, including individuals, community groups, churches, schools and much more, in many different ways.
- At Christmas each year, we make a donation to charity in lieu of sending Christmas cards to colleagues. Past years’ donations have gone to Parkinsons UK, Cancer Research UK, Midlands Air Ambulance, Mary Stevens Hospice, and Help For Heroes.
- We support the Black Country Food Bank and are a collection point for donations to them.
- Last summer, we supported St Thomas’s Church, Stourbridge, Flower Festival through sponsorship, and made a floral donation to Gig Mill Methodist Church Flower Festival.
- We donated a raffle prize to our local school’s Summer Fayre (Gig Mill Primary School).
- We have changed to using coffin and casket suppliers that are closer to us, to cut down on the miles travelled and to increase the local labour and local materials that are used.
- We take a ‘work experience’ student from a local school each year.
- We offer on-site visits and training for local hospice staff and trainee/new doctors, to help them be better informed, so that they can be of greater help to their patients and their families. We also spend time with clergy who are new to their role or this locality.
- We sponsor the training of a volunteer for Cruse Bereavement Care, to support them in counselling the bereaved.
- We have now launched ‘The John Porter Community Fund’